To The Albox Info Directory Property in Almeria

Go Back   Albox Forum > Neighbourhood Security
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Neighbourhood Security Discuss neighbourhood security in your area. Please use the appropriate stickies to report suspect vehicles and robberies and break-ins

Old 17th May 2008, 06:31 PM

Default NW not needed ?????

According to the local paper the Alcalde of Albox has stated NW is not needed in Albox - his Police Force can keep crime under control without any help.

The area I live in recently had a survey done by the NW co-ordinator - out of 35 properties 24 had been robbed or broken into during the last 5 years, most of the 24 had been ' done ' more then once - the total for the 24 properties was 41 robberies or break-ins.

One neighbour managed to get a photo of the car used in the robbery at his house - the Guardia did not bother to take any fingerprints when they inspected the house.

3 Days after when he called in to the station to see what was happening - nothing - they had not traced the Guy even with their computers - so he gave them the name and address of the Guy which we had found out by just asking around.

Result - as no fingerprints were taken it could not be proved he was the Guy - questioned but let go !!!!!!!

Billy Two Rivers.
Old 17th May 2008, 07:17 PM

I suspect that to admit the area needs NWS is tantamount to saying that that there is a crime problem; the police cant cope and that the Brits are interfering - which is completely missing the point.
I can only surmise that there is a fear that, the perceived negative publicity in taking such a step will damage tourism or put off people coming to live in the area, as well as impact on the local economy that is already feeling the pinch.

Whereas in reality, it would make people feel that something positive is being done, reassure people regarding security of their properties and would show that the Spanish and Brits are acting together for the sake of the whole community in order to thwart criminals who are undoubtedly trying to target the area. I thought that is what was wanted, more integration and co-operation?

It's a shame that the Alcade is taking the view that has been reported - seems a bit ostrich like!
Old 18th May 2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The area I live in recently had a survey done by the NW co-ordinator - out of 35 properties 24 had been robbed or broken into during the last 5 years, most of the 24 had been ' done ' more then once - the total for the 24 properties was 41 robberies or break-ins.
Those are pretty horrific statistics!

One thing I wondered though, has anybody from the Neighbour Watch schemes actually sat down with the mayor and shown him this information. Perhaps he's genuinely not aware of the situation?

Old 18th May 2008, 09:04 PM

Location: In the campo on the outskirts of Albox in Sunny Espańa
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
The area I live in
Liverpool, Birmingham, London?
Albox perhaps?

Maybe we should be told where this "area" is before going off to sit down with a mayor and frightening him with statistics and damn lies
Old 21st May 2008, 09:21 AM

Drax, As I live in Spain and have done for the last 9 years all my postings are to do with this country not the UK.

Yes, the figures I quoted are from the countryside area in Albox, not Birmingham the survey done by our co-ordinator earlier this year.

They were I believe shown to the Alcalde who po-pooed them as rubbish and greatly exaggerated - but then he does not live in our area - and the folks in the area know they are not exaggerated.

Our problems are - no one has any close neighbours - my nearest is approx 1 Klm away and cannot be seen from my house, and the next nearest is at least a 5 min drive away. Hence the number of incidents.

Billy Two Rivers.
Old 2nd May 2009, 07:03 AM

Last week, a local free English newspaper listed a e-mail address for people to provide information about suspicious activity and/or crime related information that may assist others, or in actually helping police investigate existing and on-going crimes. The e-mail address is .............................. stopcrime999@yahoo.com if anyone is interested.
Old 2nd May 2009, 07:16 AM

Default Meeting the mayor?

Having meet with the Albox Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator recently, I understood it that in the 6 years he's been doing this volunteer position, he has yet to still meet the Mayor, despite being persistant.

Its like said above, the Guardia attitude is that Albox centre is well policed. Yes it is maybe, by officers targeting innocent motorist's instead of looking for crime. Because of the nature of policing here, criminals can easily move around undetected. Even if they (the criminals) get stopped by the police as "motorists", I doubt the penny will drop and the police start doing a bit of digging, like "whats in your boot sir".

I'm told the police target motorists because this country has a poor record of Road Traffic Accidents. Therefore, one would think that if the police are going to stop someone, they would check all safety issues regarding the driver and the road-worthyness of the vehicle. NO. Instead, its a case of often issuing a ticket. At the end of their shift, they justify the work they have done by how many tickets issued, instead of criminals in the custody.