To The Albox Info Directory Property in Almeria

Go Back   Albox Forum > Help and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help and Advice Use this forum to obtain help and advice in matters of purchasing or renting a property, schools and education, healthcare, legal, financial and work opportunities.

Old 13th March 2008, 01:25 PM

Default Youth Club

Hi all

I'm a qualified Youth Worker, and I have been thinking that this area lacks activities for young people and so I'm contemplating setting up a Youth Club to provide structured activities, including some acredited awards such as the Duke of Edinburgh and Youth Achievement awards.

I would firstly like to get some feedback from people out there as to whether there is likely to be take up of such a service, and secondly to ask if anyone knows of a suitable venue (Ideally free of charge) for me to hold a club.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Becky
Old 15th March 2008, 10:43 AM

Wink Youth Centre

Hi Becky,
Some questions for you..
What type of activities are you
proposing to do?
How much space do you require for
the centre?
Is it for English and Spanish kids?
Have you asked the Ayuntamiento for
any assistance?

By the way, its a great idea!!

Eric.
Old 18th March 2008, 11:51 AM

Well, I believe structured activities are more productive, so it will be a range of activites such as sports (I used to run sports leader courses, so if there is interest, this could be done again).

Also some creative activities, such as artwork, modelling, building things etc (Exactly what would depend on resources).

Information sessions, such as drugs awareness, relationship help and advice, healthy eating, revision and exam help etc etc.

And as I mentioned, some specific acredited activites such as Youth achievement awards and Duke of Edinburgh, which would include many of the above activities but requires a longer term committment, and would result in a recognised award.

Space would be adependant on take up, but anything to start with would be great, even someones shed!

I would ideally like to offer to both English and Spanish although to begin with, I would be aiming at the English, as I have only been here a few months and my Spanish is poor.

I havent yet approached any Spanish authorities, or the reason stated above, but if someone is prepared to translate, I would be happy to put a proposal together.

I hope that answers you current questions, please feel free to interrogate me at will!!

Last edited by becky.harrison3 : 18th March 2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 18th March 2008, 03:31 PM

Default Youth Club

I think a youth club is a great idea. I have made one young lady in the rambla aware of the plans and have asked for feedback.

As for a venue, why not have a word with Donkey Dave, he has a room that was built especially as a community room. As there is to be a dancing class starting there any day now I think I am right in saying the room is now usable. Worth having a word with him anyway.
Old 24th March 2008, 06:18 PM

Sounds good.

Being reasonably new to the area, I wouldnt have a clue who Donkey Dave is. How would I get hold of him or where abouts is the room, and perhaps I could call in, in person.

Thanks
Old 17th April 2008, 03:26 PM

Thumbs down Youth Club

Sorry Becky my computer has had big problems and was offline for a time, then forgot I needed to reply.

I had a chat with Dave about using his place for a youth club and Im afraid he wasnt at all keen on the idea, so thats a dead duck, sorry.

His bar, by the way, is off the Rambla de Oria about 1km from the village of La Ermita. He has a curry night on a Wednesday that is very popular in case anybody is interested.
Old 11th August 2008, 05:35 PM

Default Youth Club

This sounds just what is needed and if you could get one up and running I'm sure there would be takers! There are loads of kids with time on their hands, especially during the summer break. Just find a venue, advertise and word will get round!