To The Albox Info Directory Property in Almeria

Go Back   Albox Forum > Help and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help and Advice Use this forum to obtain help and advice in matters of purchasing or renting a property, schools and education, healthcare, legal, financial and work opportunities.

Old 15th April 2012, 02:03 PM

Default Home schooling

Hi
We are looking at moving to albox with are four four children and initially looking at home schooling till the children get a feel for the language and the area. Firstly is this legal? As we have had mixed responses to home schooling in Spain and it seems to depend on the area you live in. Furthermore are there any home schoolers in the area who could offer us any help or advice any help would be really appreciated.
Who is the best estate agent to go with for a long term rental in the area? Is there anyone we should avoid?
Thanks

Last edited by liam : 15th April 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:09 AM

Liam,

Just a personal view -

I don't know the Law on home schooling but I would think it would be a No No. You are probably being more worried about how they will get on than your children are - they will of course have problems - but in one way this will help them - because they are going to have problems all their life that they will have to deal with.

If you are to keep them at home until they have a better knowledge of the language - they could be at home a long time - the best way to learn Spanish is get amongst the Spanish themselves - ie, in school.

The Spanish say English is a difficult Language to learn - to me it is a lot easier than Spanish where just one word can have up to 15 different meaning - even before you get to whether it is Past / Present / or Future Tense and then whether it is Masculine or Feminine ????

It is better now { I am informed } than 7 or 8 years ago when no teachers spoke English - throw them in at the deep end - they will probably enjoy it !!!!
Old 16th April 2012, 04:12 PM

Smile alexkatt

We agree with you Sheriff... We know a few people who s children have gone into the Spainish system not knowing a word of Spainish and after a few weeks of feeling " Like a fish out of water " are now " Spainish" with many friends and enjoy there life here . They are all doing well and one of them is looking forward to Uni . If you want to live here you should do all you can to become part of the system and children will bring home friends who have parents who become your friends ...
Old 17th April 2012, 08:29 PM

Default Home schooling

Thanks for all your help and you are probably all right.
The dilemma I have is due to my work and the fact I have to move about a lot meaning that my children have attended 5 schools in the past five years, with my job forecast to change location twice in the next 18 months this means another three schools for one of my sons and at least two for the other children.
This is why homeschooling seems the best at least in the short term.
Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 10:59 AM

Blimey! Feel free to tell me to mind my own business but what is your occupation that requires your kids to change schools an impossible number of times? Three changes for one child in the next eighteen months! Changing schools so frequently is going to seriously affect your kids personal development as well as education. Maybe they should go to a boarding school. Perhaps you could commute more.
Old 19th April 2012, 08:08 PM

Thanks bobthelock. If only it was that simple. With my job comes the house and we go where house and hence the work is, so commuting is not an option and we didn't have children to pack them off to boarding school. I have contemplated a change of job but with the economy like it is and not being a home owner its all a bit too risky.
Old 27th May 2012, 08:01 AM

Hi Liam

Regarding agents, we have been here for 18 months and having to move for third time because of two horrendous agents who I cannot name on here as we are being brave and taking legal proceedings against them. There are some real dodgy ones around so I suggest come over on another visit and go to the advice centre at Arboleas Town Hall and get all your ducks in a row and a good solicitor recommended, they really helped us and our solicitor is amazing! The solicitor will go through the rental contract and advise you before you sign anything or part with any money. Don't fall into the trap of the agent telling you that someone else is desperate for the property and if you don't pay the depo you will lose it. Get them and the contract checked first. Unfortunately a lot of the rental properties here are owned with large mortgages by owners who have returned to the UK and cannot afford maintenance so beware - check and double check that everything is working and all the safety certs etc. are in place before you sign anything or part with any of your hard earned cash. Having said that, once you get a good solicitor, agent and landlord it really is a great place to live and our quality of life and the time we spend with our three kids is amazing compared to the UK.

We have three children and I worried so much about them going to school here. I can only say that they are all doing fantastically well, we struggled getting them into the schools we wanted and they were here for six months including the long summer hols before starting school and it was a detriment to them not being in the school system as it is difficult to make friends when you are not at school and integrate into the local community. They all now have friends both from the UK and Spain and we are constantly on the runaround with sleepovers, this and that activity! In particular we worried about our eldest who was 15 when we moved and missed his GCSEs as a result but is due to graduate here next month from secondary school! It is the same as everywhere, some schools are great, some are not, so speak to as many people as you can before you commit to anything. I would say though, like the UK, if you find a school where they are not struggling to fit you in and you have to beg (like we did) for a place, they tend to be the best and we have since found out that other families we have met moved their children from other schools to the schools our kids attend, so that is good news!

If you want any more information feel free to contact me. I am new to the forum but my husband has been on here for a while. Good luck with everything!
Old 27th May 2012, 08:18 AM

PS I meant to say if you find a school where there are no places and you have to beg for a place because everyone wants to go there!!! I agree 100% with The Sheriff and Alexkat, get them into school, support them, you will go through more pain than them and before long they will be jabbering away to their friends and you will not understand a word (and I speak reasonable Spanish!!!)